Python is a popular programming language used in in many different domains like AI, Machine Learning, Data Science or web development. Furthermore, as a concise and easy to read language, Python is facilitating the start in programming.
This beginner friendly course is designed for persons without further experience in programming skills who want to learn the Python programming language. Since programming is mainly "learning by doing", the participants write during the course small programs themselves.
- Python syntax
- Data types (string, float, integer, boolean)
- Control flow
- Functions with return value
- Data structures (lists, tuples, set, dictionaries)
- Basics of Reading and Writing Files
Installation GuideWe recommend using your own computer for this course.
Please, ensure before the course starts that you have a running environment to write and run Python programs.
If you already have a running Python installation with Jupyter Notebook or an IDE like Atom, PyCharm or Spyder, feel free to use whatever you feel most comfortable with. If not, we recommend to install and use Visual Studio Code.
Install Python firstDownload and install the latest stable Python 3 release. (under no circumstances should it be version 2.7) from www.python.org. If you are on Windows: Do not install from the Windows Store
Install Visual Studio Code as IDEFollow the instructions here:
To summarize the above-linked tutorial:
- You need to install Python first!
- Install Visual Studio Code (VSC) https://code.visualstudio.com/
- Install the Python extension - VSC will ask you if you create a .py file and open it in the editor. Otherwise, check the link below
- (optional) Verify that everything works by doing the Hello World part of the tutorial
- (optional) Install pylance (also a Visual Studio Code plugin)
How to install extensions: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/extension-gallery